What’s the Arabica coffee percentage?

arabica coffee plantation in hawaii
The more expensive Arabica species of coffee tree grows at higher altitudes and is more difficult to culivate.


QUESTION
: What’s the Arabica coffee percentage? Is most coffee Arabica or Robusta? – Marshall F

ANSWER: As you have already pointed out in your question, there are two main species of coffee beans that make up the vast majority of the coffee market — Coffea Canephora (known commonly as Robusta) and Coffea Arabica.

About 60 percent of the world’s coffee production is Arabica, while Robusta accounts for the remaining 40 percent. The largest Arabica coffee producers are Brazil, Colombia, Ethiopia, Honduras and Peru. The largest Robusta coffee growing countries are Vietnam, Brazil, Indonesia, Uganda and India.

Arabica coffee grows at higher altitudes and has lower yields and is more susceptible to weather changes, pests and diseases compared to Robusta. Because of this, Arabica prices are roughly twice those of Robusta. Arabica beans tend to have a sweeter, softer taste. Arabica coffee contains more lipids and sugars and has higher acidity than Robusta.

Robusta coffee is considered to be easier and less costly to produce because those trees produce fruit faster and yield more coffee berries per tree than Arabicas. Robusta has a stronger, harsher, and bitter taste, and contains twice as much caffeine as Arabica beans. But don’t let this fool you in to thinking Robusta is just bad and inferior, because there’s more to it than that.

High-quality Robusta does exist and is used commonly in espressos because of the deep flavor and good crema. High-quality Robusta is also used in blends (with Arabica coffee), whereas lower quality Robusta coffee is predominantly used in powdered and instant coffee products.

Leave a Comment