QUESTION: How long does coffee stay fresh after it is brewed? I brew a pot at home and want to know how long the coffee will stay good for me to drink throughout the day. — Sam B.
ANSWER: How long your coffee stays fresh depends on factors like how you store the coffee. That said, coffee is at its freshest immediately after it’s brewed, and a pot is only considered “fresh” for 30 minutes or so sitting on the counter. So if you like to drink coffee over the course of a day, it’s better to brew it multiple times in smaller amounts when you’re ready to drink some than to brew a giant pot and just leave it on the burner or in the carafe.
How long it is safe to drink is another question. Coffee brewed up to 12 hours ago and stored on the counter may not taste fresh, but it is safe to drink. In this article, we’ll discuss the different ways to store your brewed coffee and how long each method keeps coffee fresh.
Here’s where I’m also going to backtrack a little bit. If you’re currently leaving a pot of coffee on the burner all morning and drinking a cup six hours later and it tastes fine to you, then it might not be worth the trouble of brewing a fresh pot each time. But if you are the kind of person who likes high quality coffee, you’ll probably be able to taste the difference and it might be worth the hassle.
How Long Is Brewed Coffee Fresh On the Counter?
- Brewed coffee is really only considered fresh for the first 30 minutes after it is brewed.
- You can safely drink brewed coffee that is left out on the counter for up to 12 hours.
- You can store brewed coffee on the counter in an insulated carafe to keep it warm and tasting fresh for longer than 30 minutes, but the temperature will slowly drop and it won’t be as hot over time.
- Brewed coffee that has milk in it can be safely consumed within two hours when stored on the counter instead of the 12-hour rule that applies to brewed coffee without milk.
How Long Is Brewed Coffee Fresh in the Refrigerator?
- Stored in the refrigerator, brewed coffee stays fresh for three to four days. Cold brew coffee can stay fresh for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
- Coffee that has been refrigerated tastes best when it is served cold as iced coffee.
How Long Is Brewed Coffee Fresh in the Freezer?
- Brewed coffee stored in the freezer is at its freshest during the first two weeks.
- A great way to store coffee in the freezer is to pour brewed coffee into ice cube trays and freeze them. Then, once the coffee has frozen into cubes, put the cubes in a large plastic zipper bag that is freezer safe. Keep the plastic zipper bag sealed shut when you are not using it to access the coffee.
We’ve explained that brewed coffee stays fresh for just 30 minutes on the counter. After that, undesirable flavors can start to come out in the beverage. After four hours, many sources claim that the taste can get worse as oils in the coffee start to go bad.
You can stop this process and enjoy your coffee for longer by either storing it immediately in the fridge or freezer or pouring it into an opaque, airtight insulated container, like a Thermos. It can be kept on the counter in this container or in the refrigerator. To store coffee in the freezer, we recommend pouring it into ice trays, freezing, and storing the cubes of frozen coffee in freezer safe plastic zipper bags.
Let’s recap what we’ve learned.
- Brewed coffee is freshest in the first 30 minutes after it’s been made.
- On the counter, brewed coffee is safe to drink for up to 12 hours as long as it doesn’t have milk in it.
- Extend the shelf life of your coffee by either pouring it into an insulated container or storing it in the fridge or freezer.
- Brewed coffee lasts three to four days in the freezer.
- Stored in frozen cubes, coffee tastes best for the first two weeks.
Now you know how long coffee is fresh, how long it’s safe to drink, and how to make it stay fresh for longer. Enjoy your fresh-tasting coffee!